Boise Breast Augmentation Procedures
If you’re unhappy with the size or appearance of your breasts, normal activities such as trying on new clothes, wearing lingerie or a bikini, or even stepping out of the shower can be emotionally taxing and can negatively affect your self-confidence. That’s why breast augmentation can be a life-changing surgery. You can join the millions of women who’ve found a new lease on life through the procedure.
Dr. Jonathan Kramer is a board-certified plastic surgeon who’s dedicated to helping his patients look and feel the way they’ve always wanted to. As one of Boise’s premiere plastic surgeons, he brings years of experience and treats every patient with the compassion they deserve.
Kramer Plastic Surgery serves Boise and the surrounding areas of Idaho. Call (208) 344-4900 today to schedule a consultation.
Benefits of Breast Augmentation
Women choose breast augmentation for a number of practical and aesthetic reasons, including:
- Enlarging small breasts
- Improving breast shape
- Potentially making cleavage more attractive
- Improving the appearance of asymmetrical breasts
- Restoring breast volume lost through childbirth, weight loss, or aging
- Looking better in lingerie and swimsuits
- Increasing self-confidence
Am I a Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
You should be in good overall health to undergo a breast augmentation. Other criteria that determine your candidacy are:
- Your age: You must be at least 18 years old for saline implants, and 22 years old for silicone implants.
- Pregnancy: You can’t be pregnant or breastfeeding at the time of your procedure.
- Weight: You should maintain a stable weight for at least one year before your surgery.
- Smoking: You shouldn’t smoke as it can impair healing. If you do smoke, you must be willing to quit before surgery and throughout recovery.
The surest way to find out if you’re a candidate is to schedule a breast augmentation consultation with Dr. Kramer. He’ll discuss your goals, explain the procedure, perform a physical examination, and develop a customized plan based on your physique and desired outcome.
Different Types of Breast Implants
Dr. Kramer primarily uses silicone implants; however, saline is also an option:
- Silicone: These are a silicone outer shell filled with a cohesive, gelatin like substance that is the silicone gel. Silicone implants have a more natural look and feel similar to breast tissue. They are less likely to produce rippling and they are also less prone to leakage and rupture, and they hold their shape better if they do rupture.
- Saline: These consist of a silicone outer shell filled with a sterile saline solution. They’re inserted into the breast empty, then filled to the desired size. This allows Dr. Kramer to use smaller incisions.
Saline implants have a slightly firmer feel than gel and are more prone to leakage and rupture, and more prone to rippling than silicone implants. If a saline implant leaks or ruptures the implant will deflate and your body will naturally absorb the fluid. If this occurs you will need another procedure to replace the implant.
Sizing Your Breast Implants
Breast implant size is measured using cubic centimeters, not cup sizes. This is a more uniform system of measurement because cup size often differs between bra manufacturers. Dr. Kramer will work with you to find the ideal implant size for your situation.
The optimal size for your implants depends on these factors:
- Your weight and height
- Your breast and chest dimensions
- The elasticity of your skin
- Your lifestyle and level of physical activity
- Your desired aesthetic outcome
Breast Implant Incision Locations
Dr. Kramer uses two different incision locations during breast augmentation surgery:
- Inframammary: These incisions are made in the natural folds under your breasts to hide the scars discretely.
- Periareolar: These incisions are made around the borders of your nipples. The scars will be hidden in the tissue around your areola.
Dr. Kramer has also been a Keller Funnel certified provider since 2012. The funnel is a device that allows him to insert your implants using much smaller incisions, which will dramatically minimize any scarring.
Breast Implant Placement Options
Dr. Kramer offers two placement options for your implants. Depending on your goals and lifestyle, he’ll help you decide which is right for you during your consultation:
- Submuscular: Your implants are placed underneath your chest muscles.
- Subglandular: Your implants are placed beneath your breast tissue and above your chest muscle.
The Submuscular placement is the most common and usually has a subtler, more natural appearance. Subglandular implants do not interfere with chest muscles and may be better suited for athletic women.
The Breast Augmentation Procedure
Breast augmentation procedures are performed on an outpatient basis using the same basic steps, though the specifics are determined by your choice of implant type, placement, and incision location.
During your procedure, you’ll:
- Be administered anesthesia and made comfortable
- Receive small incisions and have your implant properly placed
- Be taken to the recovery room after your incisions are closed
- Be monitored by a nurse until you’re ready to go home
- Have a friend or family member drive you home
Breast Augmentation Recovery
A number of factors, such as your natural healing ability and the particulars of the procedure, influence recovery after breast augmentation. You’ll experience discomfort for a couple of days afterward, and soreness and swelling for up to a few weeks.
After the procedure, Dr. Kramer will give you a post-surgical bra to support your breasts. It’s critical that you wear this until you’re cleared to transition to a regular bra.
Generally, this is the breast augmentation recovery timeline:
- 1-2 weeks before you can go back to work
- 2 weeks until you can transition to a regular bra.
- 3-6 weeks before you can resume strenuous activities
The most important aspect of your recovery is following Dr. Kramer’s post-operative instructions. Your implants take time to settle, and your incisions take time to heal. Following Dr. Kramer’s directions will ensure your recovery goes as smoothly as possible.
Schedule Your Breast Augmentation Consultation Today
Dr. Kramer can help you realize the body you’ve always wanted to have. He serves patients in Boise and surrounding areas of Idaho. Call (208) 344-4900 today to set up a consultation.
Kramer Plastic Surgery